A PR agency is to improve the badly damaged image of the German Football Association after the Özil case. Meanwhile, Bayern boss Rummenigge criticized the two main actors in the case.
Berlin – On Wednesday, the German Football Association confirmed that it had engaged a PR company for crisis management. The DFB is still in calamities after the “Özil case”, the World Cup preliminaries and the still unresolved affair about the 2006 home World Cup. Bayern boss Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, however, fiercely fired at DFB President Reinhard Grindel and the retired Mesut Özil.
“An external look at the shoulder is part of dealing with such issues. This is only a temporary, economically very manageable consulting mandate”, the DFB announced according to a report in the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung on the commitment of the Hering Schuppener agency with locations in Frankfurt/Main and Berlin, among others. The company also advises VW in the diesel scandal.
Mesut Özil Honours
- DFB-Pokal: 2008–09
- La Liga: 2011–12
- Copa del Rey: 2010–11
- Supercopa de España: 2012
- FA Cup: 2013–14, 2014–15, 2016–17
- FA Community Shield: 2015
- UEFA European Under-21 Championship: 2009
- FIFA World Cup: 2014, third place 2010
- kicker Bundesliga Team of the Season: 2008–09
- Germany national team Player of the Year: 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016
- UEFA European Championship Team of the Tournament: 2012
- UEFA Team of the Year: 2012, 2013
- FIFPro World XI 2nd team: 2013, 2016
- FIFPro World XI 5th team: 2014, 2017
- Laureus Media Award: 2014
- IFFHS World’s Best Playmaker Silver award: 2013
- PFA Fans Player of the Month: April, November & December 2015
- German Football Ambassador Public Award: 2015
- Best German Abroad (Kicker Magazine): 2016
- Arsenal Player of the Season: 2015–16
- UEFA Best Player in Europe Award: 10th place 2012
- FIFA Ballon d’Or: 2010 (13th place), 2011 (11th place), 2012 (14th place), 2013 (16th place)
The fact that this measure is becoming necessary was recently also made apparent by Grindel’s (non-)reactions in the context of the Özil case. Rummenigge attested to the president’s “populism to get public applause” and criticized his social media activities in the newspaper “Sport Bild”. “His tweeting irritates the entire football industry. A football president must stand above things, as was always the case with Franz Beckenbauer,” Rummenigge said.
The 56-year-old Grindel did not explain himself except for a personal statement spread by the DFB. Also some reproaches of the 29-j?hrige Özil stand therefore further uncommented in the area. Before the award of the EM 2024 on 27 September, the association wants to keep the controversies as low as possible in order not to offer Turkey a surface for attack.
Rummenigge: “That’s a fable.”
Bavaria’s CEO also went against Özil and his advisor. “Please: He hasn’t been criticized because he is of Turkish descent”. This is a fable told by his advisors. That gets on my nerves more and more anyway: Today the consultants give more and more statements and interviews. That is partly like fairy tale hour , said the Bavaria boss. “With the number and this statement Özil finally scored an own goal”.
After Uli Hoeneß, the president of the club, had heavily criticized Özil, Rummenigge does not regard the sporting qualities of the Arsenal star as Bavarian-like either. “Uli and I were always deaf on our ears. That was never a player we even dealt with one percent of the time. Never,” Rummenigge stressed. “When we played in London, Uli always said, “Hopefully he’ll play today.” At Spinland you can play a good range of casino games where you have chosen to focus a little extra on slot machines.